KBs are different than the traditional “lifting of weights” that we are used to.
Sure, in lifting weights, heavy weights can destroy your form. Lifting weights is slow.
KBs a heavier weight IMPROVES form. KBs are fast, acceleration!
- When you pick up a light KB, your body knows IT CAN LIFT the weight.
- So your body just uses shoulders or quads.
- This puts ALOT of nasty sheer on those joints
- Ex, watch someone Swing with the classic frontside squat, and you see the sheer come across the knee. Not good.
- Now pick up a heavier KB, you body knows IT CAN’T LIFT the weight.
- Now the posterior chain, esp. the hams and glutes are recruited
- Shoulder engagement to lift the weight is removed (minimed) because YOU CAN’T lift it.
- THUS, we have ACCELERATION of the BELL
If you continue to LIFT light KBs, you will only reinforce poor mechanics…and so, only be able to LIFT light KBs (and most likely injure knees, hips, and back).